Kirknewton village lies 6 miles (10km) north of Wooler and roughly the same distance from the Scottish Borders.
It marks the most northerly edge of Northumberland National Park and lies in the valley of Glendale.
The valley takes its names from the River Glen, whose source at the confluence of the Bowmont Water and the College Burn lies at the west end of Kirknewton.
The great mass of the Cheviots rises 2,676 feet from the doorstep of this little village, which was once the heart of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Northumbria.
A Royal palace called Ad Gefrin and surrounding townships stood here the 6th Century.
The 11th Century church of St Gregory the Great and the village hall are situated in the middle of Kirknewton.
The hall can be hired by the community for events and activities. (See the village hall page for more information).
From the church is an historic Iron-Age hill fort walk to nearby Yeavering Bell.
From here you can see the remains of AD Gefrin, where St Paulinus, a Roman missionary who became the first Christian Bishop of York, baptised a great number of Anglo-Saxon tribes.
The site had remained hidden until it was rediscovered by aerial photography in 1949 and then excavated a few years later.